youthinasia

I've lived in Asia for almost 7 years and never recorded anything that has happened to me or taken any photographs. It is like I have never existed. this blog aims to remedy that. I may even buy a camera!

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Going Solo at Omni

Going solo was fantastic. I had to convince Mike that I was ready to go so we started with some touch n go's. As I rotated off runway 20 I noticed the cowling screws were loose so we had to abort our flight and have the plane fixed...good start. 20 minutes later we were back in the air. 3 circuits later and Mike was grilling me about emergency proceedures...this was the sign I was looking for. Ok Mark. Relax....I'lll see you back here.

And with that he was gone. As I taxied out to the holding point, I really was thinking " What the +#@& am I doing here." I radiod for clearance and had to hold for arriving traffic. As the trafic cleared the active runway I was issued clearence for departure. Then, as I gunned the aircraft down the runway...it all became clear. i could do this and I had no choice now. My first circuit was fast and high and I had to compensate for the lack of weight in the aircraft.

As I turned final, all hell broke loose. It appeared the entire USAF decided to arrive in the circuit during my solo. To make matters works someone in a Cessna arrived from Manila and started doing stupidly slow circuits.

My first landing was cock on. really. A thing of beauty. I taxied back eager to get into the air..too eager in fact. I was kicking up so much dust, Mike had to break radio procedure and tell me to slow down.

I had to wait over a minute just to make my call for departure clearance as the pattern was now full of aircraft. 3 military, a Cessna, a Tiger 320 from Singapore and an Asian Spirit 737 were all conspiring to end my flying career before it began. Airborne and despite my efforts, the A Hole in the Cessna was making things difficult. He chugged along at just above stalling speed, and tower requested whether I had him in sight. I didnt transmit what my actual thoughts were, though told tower I was extending downwing to give hime some room. I turn finals after 1 minute of extended flying. Turning long finals I can't believe it. He's still on the active and I'm now facing a go around on my second solo. Eventually he clears active but by now I've been preparing for a go around. My approach is terrible. Off centreline and way too fast. I've got 30 degrees flap extented but still at almost 80 Kts over the Mangoliser. (airports have localisers as nav aids.) the Mangoliser is a mango tree that is a visual guide for our approach. Pilots are often herd stasting that the have acquired the Mangoliser. Long, fast and off centre, I bounce and crab my way down the runway trying to resist watching the departing 737 beside me. Flight 3 is textbook however and a fitting end.

I taxi in (remembering to raise flaps AND switch of landing light guys!) and park up on the centreline.

The guys douse me in a mix of avgas and water, I buylunch for everyone and proudly wear my wings. Then its beer o clock and trip down to Manila. Cathay top off the trip by flying me business to HK and then I meet the lads...and the lassies in the Bridge for celebration drinks.

Its not Top Gun but its a milestone I have achieved. I'd like to thank the following people who all own a small piece of my wings.

Fog: You brought me down here and introduced me to flying. You are always there to assist, advise and put me right. Sorry you missed my solo. Thanks mate.

Stef: You have been through all the crap I've been through and beat me to wings by 6 days!!!

It's always a craic havign you down here in the Phils and I look forward to sharing the next stage of our aviation career together. Cheers Lad.

Grace: For always being there and puttign up with my shit and for being brave enough to sit in an aircraft with me. xxx

Captain Mike: My instructor...what more can I say. Thanks.

Shirley and John: Providers of housing, cold (very) beer, pickle and friendship. Owe you big style guys.

Jeffery: You organise my flying life. Thanks for everything mate. I own you big.

Rens: For not fallign off your seat when I passed my medical..hehe

Omni Aviation Corporation - I consider you all family. Thanks

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, what a great description of your first solo, Congratulations on your wings. Reckon the Bridge would have been rocking that night!

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but when are you getting your Brown Wings?

8:30 AM  
Blogger Mr Lee said...

Congratulations on passing a medical, man!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not bad at all! congratulations. when are you going to take a trip our way? Or is that just a wee bit too far? How far can you fly now? Imagine, can you take us up from Inverness? That would be ACE

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you got a big willy?

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Carson has been teaching for nine years in two different schools. He has been working at Queensferry Primary since 2000 and is currently teaching P7 pupils. Mr Carson is responsible for science and ICT in the curriculum.

Mr Carson has attended the ELITE (Effective Learning with Information Technology in Edinburgh) programme, but otherwise most of his skills are self-taught.

He has recently attended a training course on the use of the SMART Board, run by SMART Technologies, and has since been using the Interactive Maths ToolKit software. He finds the SMART Board very useful for teaching maths as the pupils enjoy the interactivity offered by the technology.

Mr Carson is very enthusiastic generally about the use of ICT in his teaching and he uses it daily for different subjects. He uses a system called Remote Desktop, which allows him to control pupils’ computers. For example, he can start a maths exercise from his computer, which is connected to the whiteboard, and then send the file through to the pupils’ laptops for them to continue with the task.

Mr Carson mentions that generally he tends to deal with ICT problems on his own. However, there is a local education authority ICT officer who can come and help with the technology when needed.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO...........is there anyone out there???????????????? More news please

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get you willy out for the boys!

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home