youthinasia

I've lived in Asia for almost 7 years and never recorded anything that has happened to me or taken any photographs. It is like I have never existed. this blog aims to remedy that. I may even buy a camera!

Thursday, June 07, 2007


TCR Total Control Racing was a slotless track system that gave you more control over your racing cars than ever before. Because there were no slots for the cars to fit into like Scalextric, the TCR cars could change lanes. This was done by flipping a switch on the Hand Controller. However when the cars came to a bend they would always default to the outside of the bend due to gravity and centrifugal force. This meant that you could not overtake on the inside of a bend, something that was perfected by Matchbox's Lanechanger racing system.
Most TCR sets that were sold came with the added bonus of a third vehicle, a Jam Car which travelled at a slightly slower speed than the two "racing" cars. This meant that in order to win a race you would have to negotiate this vehicle as well as your opponent. One set (the Zig Zag jam raceway) came with a nice Corvette Stingray that could be set to veer between both lanes at random moments, thus fouling up your perfect opportunity to slip past it.
The set I had as a kid was Crossfire. This was brand new at the time and came complete with the all new racing jeeps and the Pick Up Jam truck which actually came at you in the opposite direction. The set also had all the optional extras which were available separately on all but the most expensive sets. Unfortunatly this set was never used in anger as Joep destrpyed it (and his eye) on Christmas morning.
This disaster I blame on Kane who has a catalogue of Christmas present woes...I vowed never to share a present with him again.
Other gift woes fom kane's Xmas collection include the blue Raleigh Bomber and the toy garage I stamped on coz I was jealous.
Anyway, your blog spawned this trip down memory lane. Anyone else got some favourite toys the remember...sure Aldo has many...

10 Comments:

Blogger Kane Davidson said...

You forgot to mention the empty box that I was once given at Christmas.

However, the Raleigh Bomber was the worst of all memories and has caused me to hate every Xmas since. Imagine looking forward to a nice new BMX for months and then receiving a bike the size of a giraffe. Bad days.

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember having to go Hospital fro treatment on that eye and seeing Dr Calum MacRae. He was very rude to me for disturbing his Christmas, until he realised I was Pauline's Dutchman and not a *!&*! tourist.
And that bike......what can I say

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, I remember poor Kane's tears they were the size of footballs! I too never got over that and here we are still talking about it over 20 years later! and Yes, Joep's injured eye did not fill us with festive spirit! How complicated Christmas presents can be.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read this, we sound like a disfunctional family!!!!!! that cant be right?

1:12 PM  
Blogger Mr Lee said...

Bombers were terrifying, and caused more ball-damamge to boys than anything else in the late seventies and early eighties.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear - I did'nt know that either! What a bad mother I was!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Kane Davidson said...

Yes, I seem so remember getting my 'kegs' crushed on a regular basis.

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like toys.

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Value of a Drink, or Not




"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink I feel shame.

Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the

vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams .

If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out
of work and their dreams would be shattered.
Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this wine and let their
dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
~ Jack Handy

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may leave you wondering what the hell happened to your underwear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
going to feel all day. "
~Frank Sinatra

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
~ Henny Youngman

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
~ Stephen Wright

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to think you can sing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep.

When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.

So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!"
~ Brian O'Rourke

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause pregnancy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
~ Benjamin Franklin

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol is a major factor in dancing like a retard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.

Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention,

but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
~ Dave Barry

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell your friends over and over again that you love them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To some it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
~ Dave Howell

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you can logically converse with others without spitting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And saving the best for last, as explained by Cliff Clavin, of Cheers.
One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm.
Here's how it went:

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home